Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Doing the math for practical life.

One of the 'pals' that Larry has coffee with keeps bringing up the 'married/getting married' stuff when he sees Larry. And it's so stupid, not because we don't care about each other, we do and we have good communication and good chemistry but when I look at the practical aspects of our lives, it just does not work well.
He has his paid for place, with enough parking for what he owns, a garage and a home he has lived in for years, in a quiet corner of this town.
I have a renovation project with another 5 years on the mortgage and a lot of work needing done, but it has my flower beds, my garden space and enough room for what I need. And I can live here and stay healthy and off drugs to control my allergies and asthma.
Larry's place would cost a lot of money to get to where I could live in it full time with my allergies and stay healthy. And there's not enough space for my sewing, my dolls, my books. There's no garden or flower beds, I would be starting from scratch once again and I am not willing to do that.
Here, there's no space for all that Larry owns, not enough parking room, no garage, and not enough land/lot to build that without me giving up a lot of my very small amount of land. And the house is not big enough for all of his stuff and mine too so that would require a lot of each of us thinning out our stuff to fit the space and then the cost of making more space and garage and so forth.
There's the cost of medical care and health insurance issues, and of our adult children and estates.
We can do this our way, 2 lives, 2 homes and sleep often in the same bed, his some nights, mine some nights, we don't have need of a license and others are not running our lives, making our choices or supporting us. We will not have children together, I am turning 55, he is 63, our parenting days are done and we are glad of that.
It's a fun together, companionship, hot romance, good company, comfortable with each other thing that we have going,it's our relationship, our lives and we are doing just fine at running it all by our selves.
We are not trying to run any other lives or relationships, just our own. we are adults and competent adults. We might act like we are a pair of teens in lust but that's our choices and our fun.
We didn't expect something so comfortable, so fast, nor did we expect something so 'good chemistry' but we sure are not complaining about that either.
I miss him when we are apart but I am able to function alone. I still like my quiet house, my time with my books and knitting and dog, I am not lonely, but miss Larry. It's not the same as being lonely.
He misses me when we are apart, but he has a life, and things he does, places he goes, he can manage just fine all day without me right there, we just LIKE being together a lot...
So, practical reasons, personal reasons, our reasons, it is really our lives and we are living them our way, despite his adult children and their worries and concerns, despite my maint. pals and their 'fun' and despite the nosy 'biddies' that are all retired men and Larry's friends/pals/acquaintances.
In time everyone will adjust or find something more entertaining than what Larry and I are doing, and in the meantime we will do as we please, regardless of the rest of the world, it's our lives and we will live it our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment